Since the late 90’s I’ve been playing with the idea of creating artistic self-portraits capturing different sides of my personality. Since I’m a Gemini, you can imagine I have lots of those.
I’ve been using my face and body in more than 1,000 self-portraits, each one completely different from the other. On these portraits, you can pretty much document not only the lives of the characters I portrait, but also my own. Fun, isn’t it?
My influences are extremely wide, travelling through the worlds of surrealism, dada, pop art and pop surrealism. The whole concept of the soul and body taught by Buddhism and Hinduism also plays a great part in my work, in the way that I see myself not as my physical body, but as my soul who uses the body as a vehicle to my life experiences. The confusion of the genders and sexuality are also a big part of the aesthetic of my portraits, in which I try always to be a genderless character - so people can figure out by themselves who or what am I. Yes, I do like to confuse people.
Everything is done by myself. From the choice of subject to the make-up process, from the choice of what shoes to wear until the final digital retouching, everything is a hard (but fun) labour of love. The characters who live inside the Planet Gothz are whimsical, funny, sometimes scary living creatures. Everybody is invited to visit this planet - as long (and that’s mandatory) they have a good sense of humour.
16 April / 30 May 2011 - “Planet Gothz” at Galeria Mezanino (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
Residencies / Lectures
- October/2010 - December/2010 - residency at Titanik Gallery (Turku, Finland) (Including Final Exhibition at the gallery)
- November/2010 - Lecture at Turku Art Academy (Turun Taideakatemia) - Finland
- 2011 - FotoRio 211, Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
- 2011 - Retratos & Autorretratos, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2010 - Mezanino Cast, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2009 - SP ARTE , Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2008 - Smile!, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2007 - Mira Una Moderna Art & Music Festival, Madrid-Albacete/Spain
- 2006 - Colors, Centre Gerges Pompidou, Paris/France
- 2006 - Surpresa!, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2006 - Retratos & Auto-Retratos, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2005 - Plastic.O.Rama, Sao Paulo-Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
- 2005 - ArtLaunch Sao Paulo meets Amsterdam, Amsterdam/Netherlands
- 2009 - Época SP magazine, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2009 - DJ Mag, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2009 - Mag! Magazine, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2008 - Junior magazine, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2007 - Gazelland Skin Issue, New York, USA
- 2007 - KEY magazine issue 05 Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2006 - KEY magazine issue 04, Sao Paulo/Brazil
- 2006 - COLORS magazine, worldwide distribution
- 2006 - Dazed & Confused - Japanese edition, Tokyo/Japan
- 2005 - Gazelland Magazine, New York/USA
- 2005 - 20 Zone magazine, Amsterdam/Netherlands